Civil Service offers job seekers the opportunity to take exams for State employment.
Each link below gives you information on a test that the Department of Civil Service administers. Within the links, you will find a list of jobs which are associated with the test, a link to apply for the test, and sample test questions. For applicants who need to test, applying within the LA Careers system will be a two-step process. First, you will select a test below and apply to take the test. Then, once you have tested, you will apply for individual job vacancies. Please note that after applying for a test, you must wait 90 days before reapplying to take it again. For more information about testing and state employment, please see the FAQ page.
Please click here if you need Testing Accommodations information.
*primarily filled by promotion of permanent DOTD employees
In order to test, you will need to:
- Determine the test you need to take
- Apply to test
- Print and bring page 1 of your completed online test application to the testing site your choice (Work history and education are not required for the test application)
- Bring a picture ID
- Bring proof of your Social Security number (Photo copy of SSN Card will not be accepted)
Calculators, calculator-watches, cell phones, beepers, PDAs, IPods or other electronic devices are NOT allowed in the testing room.
Test monitors at our Saturday test centers can NOT tell you which test you should take for specific State jobs. You are responsible for knowing which exam you want to take when you report to one of these centers.
- Baton Rouge Information and Testing Office
- Lake Charles Saturday Testing Center
- Opelousas Saturday Testing Center
- New Orleans Saturday Testing Center
- Shreveport Saturday Testing Center
- West Monroe Saturday Testing Cnter
For a directions to a particular testing location and hours tests are administered, please review the current schedule on the Civil Service website at: http://www.jobs.louisiana.gov/TestInformation/TestLocations.aspx
Additional information and to find the appropriate test pertaining to particular jobs, please visit the Civil Service Testing Information.