The Louisiana Children’s Health Insurance Program, or LaCHIP, provides health care to uninsured children up to age 19. It is a no-cost health program that pays for children’s hospital care, doctor visits, prescription drugs, shots and more. Learn more about what LaCHIP covers.
Is My Child Eligible?
In order to qualify for LaCHIP, your child must meet the following criteria:
- The child receiving health care must be under the age of 19.
- The child may not currently be covered by any form of health insurance.
- Total household income cannot amount to more than 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Level. Click here to see the current Federal Poverty Level income guidelines and know whether your family qualifies.
- Household income does not include income of stepparents, grandparents or others living in the household.
Please note that income deductions for the LaCHIP program include:
- $90 of gross earned income for each employed person
- Child care costs up to $200 monthly for each child under age 2
- Child care costs up to $175 monthly for each child over age 2
- Disregard of educational grants and loans
- Disregard of child support paid outside your home
- Up to $50 for child support received
The only way to know if a child qualifies for LaCHIP is to apply. Parents can apply for LaCHIP online by visiting the Louisiana Medicaid Online Application Center. The application process takes about 30 minutes. You can apply online for LaCHIP at: https://bhsfweb.dhh.louisiana.gov/OnlineServices/.
Parents are also welcome to download the LaCHIP application and can mail or fax it back using the information provided below. The application can be downloaded at: http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/assets/medicaid/lachip/docs/1chcover.pdf
LaCHIP Processing Office
P. O. Box 91278
Baton Rouge, LA 70821-9278
Fax: 1-877-LA FAX US (1-877-523-2987)
Need to Renew?
Parents whose children already receive health care coverage through LaCHIP can renew coverage through the online application, hotline or mailing/faxing the downloadable renewal application. Renewal is required every year and is not automatic.
Can I Talk to Someone about LaCHIP?
Parents can call the hotline, 1-877-2LaCHIP (1-877-252-2447), to ask questions or request to have an application mailed on the next business day. Staff are available to assist with LaCHIP applications from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday. Please click here to see a directory listing of LaCHIP staff contacts.
You can learn more about locating Medicaid services and medical equipment for a disabled child the home at: http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/page/1470